Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Kodiak Alaska

This last August, my Dad Gary, had invited me to join him on a trip to Kodiak Alaska. The main purpose for the trip was to go see the Kodiak Grizzlies. While that part of the trip went far better than I ever could have imagined, the extra 7 days chasing birds around the island was spectacular.

I had a great B& B to stay in, the weather could not have been better!!  mid 60's/low 70's every day and not a drop of rain. I know, I know it is not usually like that but there was no complaints from me!

Here are a few of the pictures that I took while I was up there!


Here is my story about Alaska and my only Eagle Picture...well not really, but the only one I like.


 
 
 
Hard to not go to Alaska and not work pretty hard in order to track down some Puffins! They turned out to be a bit harder than I had expected, but I did get a couple of decent shots
 

 
A fun little bird, the Common Redpoll was on my wish list for up there...
 
 
 
This Merlin never did allow me to get any kind of shot while it was resting, but it did buzz over my head a couple of times....
 
 


One of the shots I am most happy with is this shot of the Belted Kingfisher! They are just always so skittish, and  when this guy landed right where I hoped, right near my hiding spot...well what can I say!





.I spent several hours crawling thru the sand trying to get some shots of the Golden Plovers, but in the end they all flew away....but the Ruddy Turnstones all hung around in order to make it to my blog!!






The Varied Thrush has been a bit elusive for me as well, but there were a few that cooperated with me..





I was pretty happy to get this shot of the Savannah Sparrow.....again, I sat there hoping one would land on this log, and with lots of patience, one did.



While I have literally seen hundreds of Wilson's Snipe...I did not have a single photo of one, until Alaska.




Another new bird for me was the American Pipit.....my first was in Kodiak...my second was just a few weeks ago here in La Paz, Mexico






There where quite a few Pacific Wrens on the Island, but this one was a just plain ol' show off!




We will wrap this day up with what I consider to be the best Spotted Sandpiper shot I have ever seen.....
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment