Friday, January 26, 2018

Time is getting short

My time here in La Paz, and here on the Baja is getting very short. In  less than a week from today, Jeanne and I will hook up "Eagle Nest" our 32 foot 5th wheel trailer and start our journey not only north towards the US, but to our future. We plan on taking 5-6 days to make the drive to the Mexico/US border, making a few stops along the way, in some of the areas birding hotspots. In addition, we have been getting some very nasty reports of road conditions that are beyond bad. So, we will go slow, enjoy the drive, smell a few roses along the way. After our world travels, we will be back on the US late July, and with no plan what so ever, begin to truly wander.

The bird count for this year has continued to grow, but at a much slower pace. Wrapping up our work obligations has really cut into the time I have had to go to the field. As of Tuesday night, I am up to 122 species, with quite a few that I had expected to get by now, eluding me. A couple of sparrows, Scotts Oriole and the Ladder-backed Woodpecker, just a name a couple that I hope to get before we are on the road.

A quick trip down to La Ventanna got me a few birds, Loggerhead Shrike, Gray Thrasher, an the Gilded Flicker. Here are a couple pics of the highlights from La Ventanna.

Here is a shot of the Ash-throated Flycatcher from that afternoon


This is the Loggerhead Shrike that flew right up to the truck just as I got out.



This is a Northern Mockingbird...


Not the most common of our woodpecker, it was very nice to see this beautiful Gilded Flicker


This year we have had more Cassin's Kingbirds that I ever remember.





No comments:

Post a Comment