Thursday, February 15, 2018

Oregon has been very good to me!

Every since we blasted our way north, and got into my home state of Oregon, the bird numbers have been skyrocketing. Well, for me any way! I am sitting with my good friend, and newly minted bird guide, here in Philomath, Oregon. This is just a few miles west of Corvallis, and 40 miles north of Eugene. He has been incredible, showing me several great birding spots in this area, as well as providing us a place to park the 5th wheel, right next to their house.

Our Oregon Campaign started in Central Point, just north of Medford. This was a quick over night stop, as the night we got there, we got a call that my sister Sue, was in the hospital in Florence, Oregon. I had a quick evening and a very cold morning the next day, before heading out early to Eugene, where we dropped the 5th wheel off in a RV Park. This allowed us to make a quick run over to Florence on the Oregon coast. There a few new birds there in Central Point, and then after spending some time with Sue, we got a hotel room for the evening. Have I mentioned that our weather up to this point has been pretty incredible?  Cold yes, but sunny nearly every day. All that ended on the Oregon coast! We woke up to a pretty heavy down pour, and some strong winds. But, I was determined to make the best of this change in schedules, and see what I could find on the coast.

Again, I am very surprised how much I am not liking this cold weather. I still was right out there in it, looking at Surf Scoters, Common Loons, Western Grebes, and Buffleheads. Three Bald Eagles showed up for a nice treat, as well as Thayer's, Western and Herring Gulls. The highlight of this little side trip, other than my sister Sue, was a new Lifer, in the form of a Northern Shrike. I have to admit, this spotting was totally on my wife Jeanne, who nearly yelled, stop, slow down, back up. There at the base of a sand dune, was this very white bird. Great eyes sweetie!  I will get some pictures posted in the next few days, once I get my light room software working again.

Now that we are in Philomath, we have been on a whirlwind tour of Sewer Ponds, city parks, county parks, and William L Finely NWR. This has given me 7 new birds today. These include the Varied Thrush, Wood Ducks, Canadian Cacklers, Canvas Ducks, Trumpeter Swans and some Wild Turkeys. The highlight of the day for me was the Pileated Woodpecker!

With all that, the total now stands at 193 for the year. I will pull the numbers out in a couple of days and get some pictures posted, but for now, we get another full day here in this area, and then we are on our way to Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment